Beyond the Guac – 5 Ways to Enjoy the Benefits of Avocados
For avocados, Cinco de Mayo is a very big day. That’s why we’re taking a break this morning to give the Avocado the attention it deserves!
Did you know that the women of ancient Aztec, Incan and Mayan cultures used avocados as a major part of their beauty and health routine? They were on to something. Avocados are high in biotin, or B7, which keeps the skin moist, plus they contain the antioxidant vitamins A and E. Avocado oil also contains sterolins which are found in plant based oils and help your skin produce collagen.
Here are 5 easy ways to enjoy the health benefits of these fine fruits!
1. Easy DIY mask: Avocados are anti-aging and great at reducing fine lines and wrinkles. You can smash up avocado and apply it straight to your skin, or add some other great ingredients to whip up a moisturizing and detoxifying face mask. We recommend combining avocado, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of yogurt for the perfect at-home recipe! And by the way, don’t discount the peel of an avocado which also contains a ton of that good-for-you oil. Before you throw it away, gently rub the inside of the peel all over your clean face. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse.
2. Avocado Smoothie: For a gorgeous, glowing complexion and a tiny waist, drink one glass of avocado juice per day. You heard that right- avocado juice! To make this, mix one ripened avocado with a cup of milk and however much honey to your liking for a delicious and refreshing drink. Your insides will feel and look as great as your outside.
3. Dry Itchy Scalp: There are tons of benefits avocado has for your hair, including treating dry and itchy scalp, frizzy hair, and dandruff. Just massage some smashed up avocado into your clean dry scalp, allowing the amino acids, proteins and oils to heal and hydrate. Keep on for 25 minutes and then rinse well before using shampoo.
4. Treatment for Puffy Eyes: Here is a great solution. Peel an avocado and slice it in half. Remove the pit. Cut each half into crescent shapes about ¼ inch thick. Lie down and put a few slices under each eye. Leave on for twenty minutes and then wash your face with water. We swear it’s worth a try.
5. For your hands: This scrub will exfoliate and soften your hands. You can also use it on your face. Mash half of a ripe, medium sized avocado. Mix it with 3-4 spoons of oatmeal, 1 egg white and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Smooth the mixture over your hands or face, leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes, rinse and dry.
Happy Cinco De Mayo!!