Meet Turmeric: King of the Superfoods
While TULA products are best known for our probiotics ingredient, there are plenty of other healthy goodies in our formulas. We’ve based our “skin smoothies” on what we know to be some of the best foods for our gut. Today, we’re taking a look at another one of our core ingredients: Turmeric.
Turmeric is a deep yellow earthy spice we most often associate with curries and mustards. It comes from the root of the Curcuma Longa plant and has long been used in Chinese and Indian systems of medicine as an anti-inflammatory agent.
Fun Fact: Turmeric is used in Indian weddings as an ancient ritual. The bride (and sometimes the groom!) is covered from head to toe in a mixture of turmeric, flour, sandalwood powder and mustard oil to cleanse the body and give the skin a radiant glow before the wedding.
Besides being a tasty spice, this Superfood is said to have over 600 powerful health benefits! Its used to decrease depression, address fibromyalgia, and treat everything from headaches and diabetes to allergies, arthritis and other chronic diseases. Turmeric’s special chemical compound, curcumin, is universally considered one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants.
Benefits on the INSIDE:
- A natural pain reliever…. In India, it is used to make topical compresses for muscle strains and injuries.
- A natural anti-inflammatory agent … It is being investigated as possibly lowering the risk of cancer, heart problems and chronic arthritis.
- Boosts liver detoxification… so that pesticides and other environmental chemicals are removed from your body.
- Is an excellent source of… iron, manganese, vitamin B6, dietary fiber and potassium.
Benefits on the OUTSIDE:
- A turmeric paste mask of this spice can help to clear acne scars by acting as an exfoliant. Turmeric can also help reduces oil secretion by sebaceous glands which might help prevent further breakouts!
- Turmeric can provide quick relief in case of burns and other irritations, thanks to its antiseptic properties. This is why TULA includes this super spice in all of our products. Its been shown to help calm inflammation that might be caused by conditions like eczema and rosacea.
- When included in creams or masks (like TULA!) its been shown that turmeric can help reduce skin pigmentation (brown spots) and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!
- Turmeric can be used in the treatment of various scalp conditions such as dermatitis and eczema that can lead to itchy, flaky skin, inflammation or thinning hair.